Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Down On The Farm

Being that it has been years since I have blogged regularly I have a lot of updates to give. One big thing is we are in our THIRD year of our organic veggie CSA. What is a CSA you ask? CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Localharvest.org has a lot of great information about the CSA model of farming. 


Back in January of 2012 our family decided we wanted to start a farm to supply some locally grown organic produce to our home town. We have been eating such delicious food out of the hoop house all year round for 3 years and thought we should start a year-round CSA. So, our 3 households started expanding our garden spaces and planing our new vegetable adventure. 

Since then we have expended from vegetables and are venturing out to Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, and just last fall Sheep! I always feel like maybe I shouldn't write about the animals that we raise for meat. I am always worried about what someone "might say" or think. But then I think about it... Most of the people that would feel bad about the fact that I am raising my own animals to eat get meat from the grocery store. How are the animals they eat raised? How are they treated? What do they eat? I am very passionate about eating GOOD FOOD and even more so what my kids eat! If you would have asked me ten years ago (even five years) if I could have even seen myself raising animals to eat I would have told you NO WAY! But look, now I am doing just that. 


A new baby lamb! It's a boy! He is so cute and I can't wait to watch him playing and running in the field this spring. 


This guy worried us a few months ago. He got sick and it was so cold outside that we brought him into the house to warm up by the fire. He is doing fine now!


 Turkeys and Chickens roaming around the yard, eating bugs and grass just like they should.


A quick peek into our hoop house getting ready for the winter. 

1 comment:

Nickie said...

I'm so proud of you for this endeavor you've taken on! Not only are you conscious of what you and your family eats...but you are SHARING it with the local community!
XO,
Nickie