Saturday, November 19, 2011

The 2011 Flashback Series: Christmas Goose

Way back in January (I think) I promised a Christmas time post because I had a funny goose story to share. I was waiting to get some pictures of Christmas for a while and then I think I just didn't do it. I still don't have any pictures of Christmas (I must do better this year!) but I can wait no longer.

Sometime in December 2010:

You always hear about "Christmas Goose" in stories. I have never prepared or eaten any kind of goose, but for some reason I really wanted to prepare a Christmas Goose.

Not knowing where to get a goose I called Walt at Prime Cuts and asked if they had one. He told me that he didn't have any but that he could order one. When he called back he told me he had to order them by the case and that meant he would have to get four. Because of the lack of interest in geese, he would order them if I wanted all 4. I was so excited that I was going to have my Christmas Goose I didn't ask any questions and told him "Yes!! Order them!! I will take them!!" He told me they ran about $6 per pound.

When Mike got home and I told him about my wonderful goose find and told him the price (per pound). He of course asked "well, how much does a goose weigh?" I had no clue... then I thought about it. It was less than a turkey I knew that, but no idea how much less. Mike called Prime Cuts back and asked if they knew how much a goose weighs. The answer he got was maybe around 16lbs. OH NO!!! I just ordered almost $400 worth of GOOSE?!?! Needless to say I was freaking out for a few days and calling people to let them know I had lost my mind.
Luckily, they didn't weigh 16lbs each and I am sure Walt gave us a great deal on my crazy goose adventure. It only ended up costing about $200 (a real relief) and turned out delicious when I used the recipe in my Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine.

1 comment:

Cori said...

HAHAHAHA!! That's so funny :)